Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Baseball Diversion

Ever since reading Moneyball, I have been interested in using stats and baseball. Last week, Allen St. John wrote an article (Closing Knights) in the WSJ about using a stat he calls off-base percentage (OFB) to rank pitchers. I did this little analysis on the Phils and posted it as a comment on Swing and a Miss.

To calculate these numbers, I used ESPN's game log page for each pitcher and calculated:

[1-((Hits+BB)/BF)]

I'm assuming BF is batters faced. These numbers do not include last night's game. I included starters even though the article only talks about the bullpen.

Anyway, my results:

Pitcher (OFP)
Wagner (0.773)
Fultz (0.740)
Madson (0.720)
Lidle (0.715)
Myers (0.714)
Urbina (0.709) - includes DET
Lieber (0.695)
Geary (0.686)
Tejeda (0.684)
Cormier (0.667)
Padilla (0.656)

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger APB said...

What is wrong with sticking to Batting Average Against (BAA)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home